Friday, November 8, 2013

How to make Pom Pom Tulle Wand in multi-colors DIY

I made Pom Pom wands
as a party favors for the girls at my son's 1st birthday Candy Land theme.  I made marshmallow shooters as a party favors for the boys.
The materials you'll need to gather are:
      1.  tulles (I bought mine by the yard it's cheaper and you can get much more pom pom than the
      spool one.  It was 3 yards of whatever color I wanted.  I picked green, pink, red, blue.  I'll show
       you how to cut these out down below.
      2.  something to make the wands.  You can get dowels and decorate it with ribbons.  But I found
      these glitter pencils that were long enough.  Plus if they want to sharpen it they can be use as a
      pencil.
      3.  glue I used E6000 can be found at #Hobby Lobby.
      4. your template

I found a really great idea for the template that was so much better than any other templates I saw and this works so much better when you want to add multiple colors tulles.  Video tutorial for the Pom Pom.  I made my template out of paper box from one of my kid's toy.  I traced the lid of a pot to make the outer circle and then I traced a smaller spray can for the inner circle.

before I continue let me show you how I cut up the three yards of fabric.  You'll have handy when you start to wrap it around the template.  
  Your fabric by the yard will come folded up so you want to unfold it into one fabric piece then roll it up just like the picture and cut about 4" apart.  You'll be able to make a few this way.  I chose several colors for my pom pom.  

 to get started you'll need to cut 12" of tulle from the 3 yards you folder and cut earlier.  Slide one end into the circle slit and slide the other end into the other slit.  Now it's time to wrap your tulles.  
 Keep wrapping till you run out.  Now if you get to the end and there is a bit sticking out you'll want to trim that down.  
 wrap the other colors on top of the previous color.  
 my green tulle ended here so I just start wrapping my blue tulle color on top of the green.  Once you're done adding all the colors you want.  I added another red color after this.  You will pull to tie the pink strip together.  It doesn't need to be really tight just enough to keep it together.  Then you will slowly cut down the center of your folded template making sure not to cut into the cardboard template itself.  
  Now tighten the pink tulle strip together and you'll see that you have a pom pom.  I attached my pom pom with E6000 glue make sure it's well ventilated.  Just use a dowel or in my case I found some really decorative glitter pencils.  I put glue on the eraser part of the pencil and place it down on the middle of the pom pom where I tied it up and held it in place for a little bit for the glue to take.  Then I stuck it in a bottle to let it dry some more.  Really cute results.  
I stuck some in the blinds for decorations!


No comments:

Post a Comment